Step One: Check your eligibility
To be eligible for our motorcycle training, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia, or a temporary overseas visitor (for more information on International Licences, contact Service NSW).
- Have a NSW residential address.
- Be at least 16 years and six months of age on the date of the Pre-Learner Course.
- Have a current driver’s licence or TfNSW Customer number (obtained from Service NSW).
- Be able to pass an eyesight test and be medically fit to complete the training and hold a rider licence.
- Ensure your licence is not currently suspended or ineligible.
- Have no outstanding fines with the State Debt Recovery Office.
- Have no restrictions in force for improper conduct.
Step Two: Complete your NSW Pre-Learner Course.
You will need to complete a two-day Pre-Learner Course to gain your Learner’s Permit. The course takes place over two consecutive days, on the weekend or weekdays, and takes 3.5 hours each day.
Step Three: Complete the computer-based Driver Knowledge and Eyesight Tests at Service NSW
Step Four: Practice your skills
You must hold your L’s for a minimum of three months and a maximum of 12 months, before you can apply for your Pre-Provisional Licence.
In the meantime, why not practice and hone your skills in Stay Upright’s courses that are perfect for your level of riding.
Step Five: Complete the Pre-Provisional Course and Skill Test (MOST)
When you are ready to move from L-plates to P-plates, you will need to sit the Pre-Provisional Course, ending with the Motorcycle Operator’s Skills Test (MOST). Aim to book your course at least 6 weeks before your 12 months on an L-plate are up to be safe and have a buffer in case you need to sit the MOST again.
Step Six: Head to your local ServiceNSW to get your P1 Licence.
Visit Service NSW with your Pre-Provisional certificate within 3 months of completing your course, along with your Learner Licence. They will issue you a P1 Licence (Red P) which you will hold for 12 months.
Step Seven: Upgrade your P1 to a P2 or Unrestricted licence
After 12 months on your P1, you can head back to Service NSW to upgrade your licence to a P2 (Green P’s). If you’re over 25 and hold an unrestricted Australian driving licence, you will upgrade to an Unrestricted Motorcycle Licence.
Now’s the time to really hone your skills and enjoy riding your bike safely. Stay Upright has lots of courses to keep you improving and growing your enjoyment on the bike.