Q-RIDE: Get licensed with us!
RE CLASS COURSE
If you have current on road riding experience, and have held your learners for a minimum of three months, then the One Day Re Course is for you. This is the course required to gain your Re licence, Your prior riding experience determines your eligibility for this one day course.
The new Two Day Course is required to gain your learners permit in Queensland. Two consecutive days, both mid-week and weekends available.
The new half day R class licence course is required to upgrade from your Re class restricted licence to your R class unrestricted licence. You must have held an Re licence for a minimum 12 months if obtained prior to the 1st October 2016 or 2 years if obtained after the 1st October 2016.
Q-Ride is the best way to gain your R or RE motorcycle licence and doing it with Australia’s largest rider training organization, Stay Upright makes sense! We pride ourselves on coaching you through the required skills to not only pass the competency-based courses, but to also keep yourself safe on the road.
Riding a motorcycle is one of the best feelings in the world – let us use our experience to coach you with our proven methods.
- Gold Coast
- Mt Cotton
Make your choice from the below options. Q-Ride may also be completed partially or completely by private tuition and additional training can be provided one-on-one or in small groups.
WHAT IS Q-RIDE?
Q-Ride is a road safety initiative that combines instruction and assessment by highly qualified, patient, professional trainers who are also motorcycle nuts giving you the very best in motorcycle training.
Stay Upright is an accredited Q-RIDE provider. With training centres in Nerang, the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Mount Cotton and Cairns we are conveniently located to major population centers.
WHO IS STAY UPRIGHT?
Be confident that you are making the right decision in choosing Stay Upright to achieve your Q-Ride competency. We are Australia’s largest and longest established rider training company and train over 40,000 new riders a year. We can assist you to select an appropriate level of training to suit your needs.
Our rider training courses develop knowledge, skills, attitude and awareness of motorcycling. At all times the emphasis of our training is on your safety and courses are conducted on purpose-built training areas.
During your training, our team will lead you through a series of discussions, demonstrations, riding exercises and assessment activities that explore the systems required to operate a motorbike safely on the public street. Required learning outcomes and assessment criteria are clearly explained throughout the Q-Ride course.
WHAT DO THE COURSES COVER?
Four main subject areas are covered during your Q-Ride training:
- Preparing a Motorbike for Operation covering pre-ride checks and routine maintenance issues.
- Maneuvering a Motorbike at Low Speeds including mount and dismount and slow riding techniques.
- Control a Motorbike at Road Speeds including gear changing, emergency techniques like braking and swerving.
- Applying Roadcraft that is developing mental skills and strategies to ride defensively, recognise hazards and reduce the risks that motorcyclists face every day on the road.
Throughout the course your skills are assessed as to your readiness to be issued a Competency Declaration, your key to a motorbike licence.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
To begin your Q-RIDE experience you first need to get your motorcycle learner’s licence from QLD transport, to do this you must be at least 18 years of age and have held a current car licence for 12 months. Now available online here, or Visit in person at your nearest Queensland Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre to:
- Provide proof of identity, age and residency
- Complete an application form
- Pass written road rules tests, and
- Pay a licence fee to obtain your RE Learner’s endorsement
WHAT ARE MY TRAINING OPTIONS?
Stay Upright has training courses to suit all experience levels from the novice seeking a restricted RE licence right through to more experienced riders who feel ready for an unrestricted licence.
Contact the QLD Stay Upright Booking Office where our staff will assist you to select an appropriate training option:
- Q-Ride may also be completed partially or completely by private tuition and additional training can be provided one-on-one or in small groups.
- All our courses cover both theoretical and practical aspects of motorcycling and involve classroom presentations and riding exercises off and on the public street.
- We pride ourselves in our ability to train people with special learning requirements and ask that you discuss your special needs with our booking staff.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I HAVE TROUBLE LEARNING THE REQUIRED SKILLS?
We understand that people learn at different rates. Experience tells us that a small proportion of novice students (2 day course) may have difficulty achieving competency in the time allowed by the syllabus. Should this occur, we encourage you to book into a further 1 day course with a 50% discount on the course cost. We also offer the option of private one-one-one lessons (at additional expense) to complete outstanding competencies and this may be arranged through the QLD Stay Upright Booking Office.
WHAT CAN I DO IF I HAVE A COMPLAINT OR DISAGREE WITH MY ASSESSMENT?
In the unlikely event that you have a grievance with your course outcome. Stay Upright has a fair and equitable process to handle your concerns and review any issues you may raise. Ask our booking staff about our policy and procedure.
HOW DO I GET MY MOTORBIKE LICENCE?
When you have been assessed as having achieved all Q-Ride competencies you will be issued with a Competency Declaration which you must present to your nearest Queensland Transport Customers Service Centre to have your licence endorsed.
Keep practicing the riding skills and systems developed on the course. You may wish to consider other Stay Upright rider training courses or private lessons to help further develop your skills.
HOW DO I BOOK?
Bookings for all training courses are made by telephoning or visiting the QLD Stay Upright Booking Office. Have your drivers licence handy when you call.
We accept cash, Eftpos, cheque or Australia post money order. Payment in full is required at least 7 days prior to your course or Assessment. You will receive a confirmation letter on receipt of payments.
WHAT IF I CANCEL OR POSTPONE?
Full refunds or course date changes may be made only if we receive at least three full business days notice (Monday to Friday).
WHAT DO I BRING TO THE Q-RIDE COURSE?
Bring your current Queensland car and motorbike licence and/or learner licence.
We will supply you with a motorbike at no extra charge if you cannot supply your own. If you do not have your own helmet conforming to the Australian Standard 1698, suitable eye protection and motorbike gloves designed for motorbike use, these will be supplied at no extra charge.
We ask you to wear the following sturdy protective clothing to our courses:
- Long sleeved shirt or jacket made of heavy material
- Pants that cover leg length
- Strong, low heeled, fully enclosed footwear
- If you use your own motorbike it will be inspected prior to being used on the course. It must be roadworthy and have current registration.
CODE OF PRACTICE
Our comprehensive Code of Practice is displayed for staff and clients in our offices and a copy is available on request.
To participate in Q-Ride training and assessment, you must:
- For restricted (class RE) – hold a current motorbike learner licence. For unrestricted (class R) – be the holder of a restricted motorbike RE licence for 12 months.
- Contact Stay Upright to enrol. Stay Upright will ask you to provide some information about your licence history to determine which class of motorbike you are eligible to learn to ride. For example, if you want to ride an unrestricted motorbike, you need to know the date on which your class RE licence was first issued (minimum period 1 year) or for a class RE restricted licence you need to hold a current RE Learner licence. You can obtain this information from your licence or by completing a Driver’s Record Information Request.
- Stay Upright will set the level of training to suit your existing skills. When you have demonstrated you are competent in all of the Q-Ride competencies, you will receive a Q-Ride competency declaration certificate. Simply take your Q-Ride competency declaration to a Queensland Transport and Main Roads customer service centre, present your certificate, they will endorse your licence with a motorcycle licence of the correct class. Although you will not be required to do a practical test, you must be eligible for the issue of the licence you are applying for.
- Remember you must carry your learner licence when learning to ride a motorbike at all times. Be prepared to show your learner licence to a police officer or any other authorized person if you are requested to do so.