Australian Capital Territory
How do I book?
- Via our online booking portal (Visa or Mastercard only)
- by phone (Visa or Mastercard only)
- In person (cash, cheque or EFTPOS)
- by direct deposit over the counter at any NAB branch or via internet transfer to:
BSB: 082-057 Account No: 160 000 667 Account Name: Stay Upright Payment Reference: your first and last name
Learner & Provisional Rider Licence Training and Assessment Scheme
Before entering the exciting world of motorcycling, you must obtain a rider licence. To get that licence, new riders need to complete a three step rider licence training and assessment scheme. Stay Upright Motorcycle Techniques administers that scheme on behalf of the ACT Government.
- Step 1. Pass a Pre-Learner Training Course to get your Ls
- Step 2. Provisional Training Course and
- Step 3. Pass the Provisional Licence Assessment to get your Ps
Compulsory Pre-Learner Training Course
- Minimum age – 16 years and 9 months
- Licence status – a current ACT driver licence ('C' class - learner, provisional or open). If your driver licence was issued elsewhere, visit Rego ACT for more information on converting to an ACT equivalent. Interstate and overseas learner driver licences cannot be converted to an ACT equivalent without first completing the Road Ready Training Program.
- Prior Knowledge or experience – none, the course is aimed at complete novices
- Physical attributes – good balance, coordination, reasonable physical fitness.
- Literacy – no written test but a good oral command of the English language.
- Clothing – sturdy clothing offering full skin cover.
- Other Equipment– a motorcycle or automatic scooter, helmet and gloves will be provided for your use during the course.
Format and Content
The course runs for 7 hours over two half days on Saturday/Sunday, single day courses usually Wednesday or Thursday. Our expert team of professional instructors will guide you through a number of activities learning basic control and defensive riding techniques.
What If You Have Difficulty During Pre-Learner Training
While pre-learner training course is exciting and heaps of fun, there is a serious side. Some people take longer to pick things up and if you are unable to demonstrate a particular skill, for safety reasons, you will be stopped riding. Personalised programs are available to complete your training.
When You Pass Pre-Learner Training
Once you have your learner rider licence, what then?
Ride at every opportunity, practicing everything you learned on your course. Stay Upright offers a range of other training options to help you develop. Provisional training and assessment is your next step.
Compulsory Pre-Provisional License Training and Assessment
To obtain an ACT Provisional rider licence, learner riders must pass the 7 hour Provisional Training Course and Provisional Assessment which is also called the M.O.S.T (Motorcycle Operators Skill Test) course and assessments are held weekly.
Minimum age – 17 years
Licence status – current ACT learner rider licence held for at least three months.
Knowledge or experience – practice all the skills learned at pre-learner training, research the M.O.S.T.
Clothing – sturdy clothing offering full skin cover.
Other Equipment – bring your own motorcycle or scooter and riding gear. Hire equipment is available, fees apply.
Where are we:
Sutton Road Driver Training Centre near Queanbeyan